21 October 2009

sweet melancholy of autumn

the heart
the blush
the scarlett
the maple tree
the maple leaves
the confettis
the kaleidoscope
the blur
the butterflies
the foliage
the patchwork

When I think of AUTUMN season, I associated it with being melancholy -- of winding down energies before the bleakness of winter. And as the chill of winter is in the horizon, the weather turn into murky, and this makes some people turn gloomy and inwardly as well. In spite of this melancholic mood, autumn -- also brings out and emphasizes a peaceful, and beautiful lush abundance of the season. You would agree with me that the sight of a fall foliage at its peak is like a lovely patchwork of art and it is such a wonder to behold!

I have always loved autumn season. Couple of decades ago, back in Philippines, (I was very young then )…. I have always dreamt of experiencing the wondrous of autumn season. I’ve only seen fall foliage before in movies, paintings, Discovery channel, National Geographic magazines, have read in books and I had always wished to see these breathtaking sceneries in person. And coming from Southeast Asia, I am not familiar with this attractive fall coloration phenomenon at all. Here in BC, and throughout much Canada, the cool fall weather usually brings us spectacular and dazzling displays of colors, and autumn is the best time for me and anyone to enjoy and admire Canada’s best sceneries and landscapes.

I have not thought much about leaves until autumn comes. While I am taking these photos, for a brief moment - I marvel at the multitude vivid colors that emerge from these leaves what was previously just a plain green background. Of course, there were subtleties of shade and texture in the greenery that surrounded us all summer, but after the first flush of green in the spring, we quickly grow accustomed to the green backdrop of plant leaves and focus our attention elsewhere.

But when days shorten, weather gets cooler, skies turns grey, and trees grow crisper, colors are changing and leaves fall into their own. Funny it seems, but it is only when they are about to ‘fall’ that they finally attract our attention. As the golds, yellows, reds and browns of autumn emerge we come to realize the diversity of the plants that once made up the summer greenery. The green background is transformed into a mosaic of individual plants in varying hues. For a few short weeks before winter's white coat arrives, Mother Nature shrugs off her dowdy greens, throws fashion sense to the wind and bursts forth with a season ending an explosion of color.

One thing that always amazes me about fall foliage is the natural variations of the rich colors of the trees. As shown in the photos, some trees turns to an almost-impossible-to-believe-shade of blazing red every fall. I think certain colors and the timing of the color change are characteristic of each tree species. Oaks turn reds, browns and russets. Some trees turn into golden yellow, some purplish red and some just light tan. I can easily tell maples trees, being pre-dominant of all trees, and because that’s the only one I am familiar with. They turn fiery-scarlet-red or brilliant orange-red. These trees are being offset by the rich emerald greens of pine.

I have always wonder what causes this fall splendor? I also wonder where do the yellows, golds, reds and browns come from? I am pretty sure that the answers to these questions involve some pretty hefty science, with lots of plant biochemistry and physiology. I don't pretend to fully understand the myriad of processes involved, but I think I've got a little bit grasp of it and just enough to handle the nature’s wondrous phenomenon.

I think God's wondrous creation is so immense, that it is incredibly hard to fathom, and yet, is likely easier to marvel the beauty of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God's creation gorgeously captured shots ... so beautiful !!!