14 October 2009

books you can't put down


Everybody loves that feeling you get when you find a book that is just perfect for you. It feels as if you will never be able to put the book down. I mean those kind of books you start reading but cannot put down until the last page is turned? Have you ever missed work because you slept so so late, or you have not slept at all because you couldn’t stop reading? I did! There's nothing like being carried away by a great read. It can take you to places you've never been, to meet the people you'll never know….


Everyone has those experiences where they can't put a book down because the book is a page turner and it's just so good and so engrossing. I've occasionally been unable to put a book down when it is so perplexing, yet timely and critically acclaimed, and I keep thinking, "This has got to be going somewhere…”

When I read a wonderful book, there's that bittersweet pleasure as I approach the end. I want it so badly to discover the conclusion, and I just dislike the idea and the experience of being completely engrossed in a story to be over.

I have quite a list of books I can’t seem to put down. Some of these books were really very well written and brings-up some great issues that really hold my interest. The books listed below were the best as far as I’m concerned…the list is not in specific order though….and by the way, I have only listed books that I have actually read and enjoyed. Some were classics, contemporary fictions and non-fictions, novels, memoirs and biographies, some are so poignant, bleak, powerful and moving, some are narrative-style, but they are guaranteed great reads and I personally hand-picked them. I know, there's something specific genre for everyone - and every occasion. But whatever you choose, you can be sure that once you start reading, there is no way stopping!

At any rate, the next time you ask yourself, "What should I read next?" I hope this list will prove helpful.

1) Khaled Hosseini, Kite Runner
2) Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns
3) Wally Lamb, She’s Come Undone
4) Wally Lamb, I know This Much is True
5) Billie Letts, Where the Heart is
6) Dan Brown, Da Vinci Code
7) Dan Brown, Angels and Demons
8) Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol
9) Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient
10) Bernhard Schlink, The Reader
11) Ian McEwan, Atonement
12) Jung Chang, The Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
13) James Frey, A Million Little Pieces
14) Sydney Poitier, The Measure of a Man
15) Steve Lopez, The Soloist
16) Stephanie Meyers, Twilight Saga Series
17) Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
18) Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha
19) Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary
20) Greg Mortenson, Three Cups of Tea
21) Asne Seiertad, The Bookseller of Kabul
22) Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
23) Frank McCourt, Angela’s Ashes
24) Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper
25) Truman Capote, In Cold Blood
26) Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray & Love
27) Elie Wiesel, Night
28) Alice Sebold, The Lovely Bones
29) Michael Cunnigham, The Hours
30) Carol Shields, Stone Diaries
31) Anne Rice, Christ the Lord-The Road to Canaan
32) Anne Rice, Christ the Lord – Out of Egypt
33) Andrew Morton, Diana
34) Robert Ludlum, The Bourne Identity Series
35) Amy Pastan, Martin Luther King
36) Anita Shreve, Resistance
37) Thomas Keneally, Shinder’s List
38) Wladyslaw Szpilman,The Pianist
39) Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank
40) Ruby Wiebe, The Stolen Life
41) John Grisham, The Pelican Brief
42) John Grisham, The Firm
43) Toni Morrison, Beloved
44) John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
45) John Steinbeck, East of Eden
46) E. Annie Proulx, The Shipping News
47) Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
48) Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
49) Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence
50) Azar Nafisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran

No comments: