11 April 2009

sugar and spice and everything nice...






Sugar and spice and everything nice, that’s what my little girl Ashley is made of!

Yesterday was my daughter's birthday. I have to pinch myself and believe for myself that Ashley really had already turned 9 years old. It's not so long ago when she was just this cuddly and chubby-creased baby in my arms.

I remember the day she was born. So pink. So cute. So soft. So delicate. And hmm smells so incredibly good too. The moment I set my eyes on her, I thought to myself, she is the most beautiful girl on the entire planet earth (i think that's how every proud mom felt about their own child). It’s not really that hard to recall the time I gave birth to her. Who would forget a 1 and 1/2 day of labor pains! I won’t. That’s 36 solid hours. I won’t forget the excruciating pains I went through with her. Little I knew and realized on day 2 that she was distressed too. In as much as I wanted her to come out, she couldn’t because she was also struggling. I thought she was too comfortable in the warmth of my cocoon-like womb that she does not want to come out at all. But for some reason, my ob-gyne and I didn’t have a clue why suddenly the umbilical cord was found tied up and encircled on her poor tiny neck. But she was such a strong baby and a brave one so to speak. She held on to me tightly as much as I held unto her. I tell you, there's nothing like labor pains, it is the mother of ALL pains...well at the end, it is so worth it. I am rewarded with an angel sent from above. How fitting the saying "no pain, no glory" is!

I also remember the first day she was home from the hospital, couple of days after she was born. She was wearing this baby pink cotton dress, matched with pink mittens and bonnet, wrapped in pink soft and fluffy blanket. Her clothing almost matched the color of her cheeks – pink! She was surrounded by all her cousins, aunts and uncles. All gaping at her, wanting to touch her, cuddle her and sniff her, and I even beg them to be quiet and not to wake her up just as yet. As if she knew what exactly was going on, she suddenly woke up from her serene sleep, opened her eyes and there! she gave us the most incredible sweet smile that made everyone say "awww"...

Ashley is such a happy child, she loves to frolic and gives everyone a sweet and adorable smile that just makes their hearts melt away. I have so much happy memories that I can recall…from being an infant baby, to toddler, to pre-schooler, to kindergarten. She likes to hum and dance even she is still in the baby crib. Ashley just makes my day after a hard day’s work. I used to take plenty of photograph of her. And she would always give me her best smile the moment I have my camera with me.

Even she was just in my tummy, she moved a lot every time I read a story on her. From day 1, Ashley already loved books even before she learned to speak. In fact she started reading a book before she turned 4 years old. She also loves pink a lot. There’s the pink blanket, pink socks, pink dresses, pink sweater, pink head band, pink toys, pink dolls, pink tutu’s, pink ballet shoes, pink books, pink bikes, even her room was painted pink and purple. Seems every single thing she have is in pink!

But now according to her, pink is no longer her favorite color. She said, “no offense mom but I am ‘almost’ over pink color” Take note, she uses ‘almost’ so not to hurt my feelings. She also said that pink is not that “in” and “cool” anymore and in fact she now likes the shade of blue. Out with the pink, in with the blue! And red, and yellow and orange!

I was like…this is not happening….it can’t be real! How can this be? My little girl does not like pink anymore. And you know what does that mean? It’s like a casual announcement without being warned. That she not a baby anymore. And before I know it, here comes a girl now emerges. I just remember her in her bibs, diapers, and pigtails, carrying her baby bottle. Now, I saw her just walked across the hallway to her room carrying her DS electronic game.

From pink to blue. From the Teletubbies to Treehouse. From Brahms lullabies, Barney’s songs to the Hanna Montana, the images of a girlhood have been projected.

There are numerous of things that I like about my daughter. I like her when she welcomes me with her hugs and kisses and tells me she misses me so much and asks me how's my day. But what I like about Ashley most is - (even she had outgrown her love of pink colors and barbies). She has this big and beautiful and generous heart and has a very genuine spirit. She loves God so dearly and she thinks that God made such an amazing job creating everything in this entire world. She also made it quiet clear that she and Jesus are very close friends.

Ashley is described by her teacher as an outstanding bright and hardworking student who strives for excellence and is always up for a challenge. I describe Ashley as a very loving and gentle-mannered girl who has a young mind, strong spirit and has a determined dream.

As she turned 9 years old yesterday, I can see that she has grown into such a lovely little girl. But to me she is still a baby. And she will always be my baby. That’s my girl. That’s my Ashley. I just want to thank God for her life. I wish her a bright future ahead of her and all the good things in life...Happy Birthday sweetie!

No comments: