26 October 2010

Be still



“Be still, and know that I am God” {Psalm 46:10}

Stillness and quietness are rare. We don't always know how to achieve them, least how to handle them. But for the sake of marriage, we need televisionless, phoneless, computerless and workless time together. We all need solitude for our individual lives but we also need marital solitude....

I must admit, it has been a little while now since my spouse and I have a 'marital solitude' that's free from distractions. We are equally busy with so many things...to name few -– work, kids' school and extra activities, chores, errands not to mention browsing, facebooking, blogging and the likes! So we badly need a marital solitude and quiet time very soon! And I know it won't just happen by itself...I've gotta make it happen....just like my time with God alone, I must plan my time alone with my hubby too.

But before I allow excuses to rule out any of these possibilities, I guess I have to put my schedule in writing and make sure we both mark and synch our iCalendars. And then I would have to put a little bit more effort on actually doing it. Eventually, I would require creativity and flexibility in my options though. And learn to discover new and fresh approach too.

Seriously? most married couples are surrounded with multitude pressures and stressful activities, but these pressures and stress we must often escape are not those we create for ourselves but those brought into our lives from the outside.

So, to put my two cents in, I think a key to keeping a cherished relationship alive maybe found in breaking away from distractions frequently enough to keep ourselves fresh and our love growing...afterall, relationship is a living thing~~it has to grow and it needs a good cultivating, weeding, watering and what else? Sunshine of course!


No comments: