15 September 2010

"Don't Worry"


It seems there isn't much to write about what's going on with me these days...but I have lists upon lists and crazy schedules since my kids were back to school.

My son is now in Grade 7 and their class is going to kick off the fall school term with a “dig camp” called “The Odyssey Archeology Programme”. They are going to do a 4-days/3-nights simulated archeological excavation at Panorama Ridge. The program will focus on Science for the study of human skeletal parts, Social Studies for the ancient Greek cities, Language and Literature for Homer's Odyssey, and Math for statistics, grid and triangulation system for measurements and locations, and dating methods for the artifacts being dug/found and a little bit of PE and even Arts.

Therefore, whether I don't let my son go is out of question as it is a requirement in the upper intermediate curriculum. After the “dig camp”, there's supposed to be a very stiff “dig exam”, and once they passed this dig stage, they can qualify to go for the next field trip/camping in March to UBC (University of British Columbia) and write a 10-page essay of a subject of their choice. Whew!!! I can't believe this is a curriculum of a Grade 7 class. It sounds so interesting and exciting. I also think it is a very intense and challenging hands-on program, something you can't find in a regualr four-wall classrooms. It's defintely going to be a huge exploration experience for all Walnut Road Elementary School seventh graders!

At first I thought, sure why not, but as I was browsing on the list of what they are suppose to bring, I started to worry, the students need to set up their own tents, prepare their breakfasts, set the bonfires, and so on ...panic was starting to build up thinking the temperature drops at night, even 2 sleeping bags won't be enough to keep them warm. During our camping this mid July, it gotten so cold at night up until early morning....and here's the perturbing thoughts:-- who's supposed to remind him to put on extra blanket? who's gonna remind him to zip on the sweatshirt and put on the hoody? who's gonna tell him not to mix the clean clothes with the dirty and soiled ones, and other stuff! He is just twelve years old and my baby! Besides I had never let any of my children out of my sight even for one night, not even a sleep over! So suddenly, I was left with this letting-go issues....

But after a chat with my husband, I did the right thing to do....I gave my thoughts and fears to God and asked for peace for myself and protection for my son, then I felt much better. There isn't much time to think about it, I have to hand over the form with my approval the following day. And there's the list of supplies that is ridiculously long! Aside from warm different types of clothing & toilettress, Andrew has to bring excavation equipments and camp equipments.

Even I am struggling with my letting-go issue, in my opinion, this camp is a very brilliant idea for these young kids to be able to experience important events in their pre-teens educational stage, as a matter of fact, this actually sounds like a real fun! This reminds me of my girl-scout Jamboree experience I had when I was in Grade 6. On a very positive note, I think it's also a good way for them to learn the hands on aspects of → team work, responsibility, decision-making and co-operation with other peers. It's very encouraging to know that my son and his classmates will develop significant things in the process, such as → sense of empathy, respect, patience, perseverance, and endurance.

I felt more comfortable after reading the whole program though. The students were placed under teams and Andrew was placed under “Oxford University” team....the other ones were Harvard, Princeton, Cambridge and of course UBC. I am also confident that this experience is going to be a great challenge for all the students not only to my son and for sure it is a very worthwhile one. From the newsletter, I've read that this program was organized and founded by Andrew's teacher and another school teacher, sometime 20 years ago with some Grade 8 students up to university graduates to serve as instructors, team security and supervisors, all of them have experienced “dig camp”. And it was awarded few times for an Outstanding Merit for all of Canada and then later the documentary film was distributed throughout Canada and US elementary schools. It is obvious that with this standard, the entire team really works hard. So my son is extremely excited to be part of it! I really felt his enthusiasm and interests. I am also happy and excited for him. And I'm pretty sure he will have lots of fun.

He assured me though that he will be alright and added that I should “not worry” at all. He is right, I should not worry at all and should start trusting my son that he is also capable of looking after himself. The key word is “Do not worry”! It hits me hard. This phrase can be found in Philippians 4:6-7. It says....”Do not be anxious about anything, but everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Oh what an assurance we have in Jesus!

The truth is-- there are so many things to be anxious about in my world, and probably in your world too. So, how do we deal with it? For me the bible offers some wise counsel as we face difficulty. As Paul wrote this, he was in prison. His words are practical because he was facing a very grim future, yet he pens these profound words....”Do Not Worry”.


That's right, I think I shouldn't...\o/




No comments: