23 April 2010

quiet times



Stillness. Quiet. Silence.

Do you ever hear the sounds of silence?

They are there...in their own way they speak loudly. Quietness for some is a way of life. It can be a time to reflect, a time to recover, a time to grieve, a time to rejoice or a time to listen to God. For some reason, quietness for others is uncomfortable. A deafening silence. An eerie silence. Solitary. Or avoidance of discussing something. Muted. Hushed. Withdrawn into a sullen silence...

Quietness for me is to seek rest....A time to reflect for a moment and to create a spiritual intimacy....a deepest kind of intimacy. A time that gives me a sense of serenity and an absolute kind of peace....A time to have a connection with God in a very comfortable and settling way, a time to listen to what He has to say to me.....A time to give thanks and to utter my prayers, a time where I can tell Him how awesome He is!..... sometimes, I thought of it as my personal routine of rejuvenating my mind, body and spirit. Where I can rest and seek His grace and strength. To feel revived, refreshed and new every morning.

No one said that it would be easy or comfortable to be quiet...In my case, I have to confront the barriers and obstacles that will prevent me from achieving my peace and quiet time,......time schedules have to be juggled, and most of all, outside interruptions and intrusions are needed to be blocked. Definitely--planning ahead, making everything simple and an honest-to-goodness commitment would work-out for me, not necessarily in-that- order or for that matter.

You see....when we fill our lives with so much activities and busyness, that's the time that we have the tendency to forget to pause, to reflect and barely have the time to talk or least to rest. Then we hardly find the time to pray....But there are times in the midst of our most hectic day when we need to close the door, log-off from our lappy, unplug the phone, switch off that TV, sit down in our favorite chair, lean back, and close our eyes...and just be still--in the presence of God....when we are under pressure and feel like everything is collapsing around us...it's the best time to seek God's peace and rest....and you know what? ---the busiest day of our lives is the best day to do it...you'll be surprised, it is THE time you need it the most. It is for me.

"Be still, and know that I am God........" Psalm 46:10




No comments: