06 March 2010

spring break getaway

cannery pier hotel, portland, oregon
continuous truss bridge, astoria, oregon

We are heading to Portland this spring break with my family and friends. I checked out the weather and it's predicted to rain and possibly breezy and chilly. I was surfing the net and browsing any cool things to do on a rainy day…and it only left me with indoor activities such as museums, fine restaurants, cozy diners serving authentic food such as lebanese, mongolian, greek, thai and the likes...there's lots of shopping malls, not to mention SAKS store. Not only are there great shopping stores in Portland, but also the shopping is TAX-FREE!
I love the fact that Portland has lots of bookstores too..I don’t mind going to Powell’s bookstore, THE largest independent new and used bookstore in the world, with more than a million volumes and the selection is unbeatable, you can get lost here for hours! It occupies a full city block, it's just amazing and really worth visiting. Definitely, one of my favourite places to go. Picture this-----books + gourmet coffee = great day :-)

I am actually very excited, I have been to Portland, Oregon once and it was an awesome experience. Portland has a big city excitement and has a small town charm. Portland is made with walking in mind. The short blocks, combined with public art, old-fashioned sculptures and architecture, fountains, bridges and historical buildings. It is a splendid location with relaxed and urban-lifestyle that is worth exploring.

Portland is synonymous to rain you know….and rain is a relative term…there will likely be a slight mist in the air at all times. But I think the great way is --do like Portlanders do...i’ll simply ignore it and do whatever I had originally planned. Everything is still cool to do on a rainy day anyway. I’ll go on the waterfall loop and then I won't even notice it...haha! Seriously! We're going to Portland for spring break, I guess, I just have to deal with cooler and mistier weather then. Rain or shine, ready or not, Portland---here I come!!!


No comments: