03 March 2010

family over work


In pursuit of happiness, our culture is absolutely sick with an addiction to busy-ness. Admittedly, I also tend to work too much, take on too many tasks, and sometimes have to pry myself away from my work, chores, books, or a computer screen so that I can exercise, relax, or enjoy a cup of coffee with a friend and just enjoy a good conversation. Most of us constantly strive to find harmony within our own soul. I myself have a creative and driven personality that likes to get things done, yet I need still and quiet time for reflection and spiritual rejuvenation.

So every morning, before I even log-in to my workplace' computer, I make a list of the projects I would like to accomplish before I retire to bed that evening. And as the day progresses, I feel good if I can scratch items off that list. If I get stuck on one or bogged down, I find myself feeling a little bit anxious; not because it’s a really essential task, but because my progress has been impeded. If it looks like the list may not get completed by bed time, or before the week ends I have real issue on my hands. My mind begins to race and I lay in bed constructing the list for the next day.

I am sure that I am not the only one who deals with this 'busyness syndrome'. Now here is where we need to work on. Our identity is NOT wrapped up in what we do. Our accomplishments are NOT equal to our worth as a person. We are NOT valuable as a person because God knows we can get the job done like a corporate hatchet man. And it is NOT logical, or I should say plain absurd for us to get worked up and tense because we only marked 8 things off our 11-item to-do list for the day.

I used to have a very busy schedule and a demanding job before. It kept me so occupied and extremely busy. Without realizing that gradually, it had taken a toll. I can hardly find time for myself and least for my family. I am so blessed that couple of years ago, a great job had came along my way with the perfect time and location. A job that suits my needs and preferences. A job that makes me excited to go to work, ready to face the challenges of the day and be able to deliver what I am expected to do. And most of all a job that allows me to have a balance between my personal and professional life that does not put pressure on me at all.

When I took this job, I promised myself that family is my priority and I intended to laid-back a little and not to succumb to the tyranny of my day. I have to combat the stress and fight it with tooth and nail and remind myself that it is just a job! Don't get me wrong, I always strive to work everything to the best of my ability and not afraid of pushing the envelope a little bit farther. But I have to disagree with that crippling mindset that says "you matter because you know how to get things done." I don't want to replace genuine relationships with people (particularly my family) with projects.
Projects are cold, impersonal, and ultimately forgettable. Who among us can remember an all-consuming to-do list from December of 2001? Yet the people that we love are flesh and blood, with emotions and spirit, and they need us as much as we need them. We risk our very souls when we NEVER connect with our spouse, children, brothers and sisters, sacrificing genuine relationships and friendships on the altar of efficiency and industry. It is not enough to be busy without even realizing what are we busy about? Isn't it ironic that he who is too busy doing good finds no time to be good? A very close friend of mine quoted this and I liked it...according to book of Solomon, "Everything is meaningless when we miss to find God in the midst"...

So make your list. Get to work on it. Do it with diligence and excellence. But put people first..Jesus did. And I tell you....they are far more important than projects.


No comments: