20 May 2009

vintage buttons - a new fashion statement!







I’m a huge fan of button embellishment. Buttons are often small works of art, examples and reflections of the styles and times. Something about buttons is so cheerful. And I think there is nothing more exciting than vintage buttons. It’s classic. Traditional. Antique. A bit of nostalgia. A bit of drama. A bit of the past and the best of the new!

Even when I was young, I’ve already loved buttons. I don’t know about you but buttons simply draws my heart and attention. My mother, who was a seamstress then used to pull up an old-rusted rectangular tin from her “tokador”, inside were array of colorful vintage buttons, ribbons, and beads. My sisters and I would go through each piece, ooohing and ahhing. We were not allowed to take or keep one from her collections because it supposed to be one of my mother’s personal possessions. It wasn't the monetary worth of the piece that we got excited, but the bright or muted colors, the textures, the designs and the stories the pieces told that captivated us.

I want to share with you these photos of my latest find --my little treasures:
F.A.R.M. vintage button bracelets. F.A.R.M. stands for Fabulously Absolutely Rural Made. F.A.R.M. button bracelets are innovative and have very inspiring designs. It is unique, cute and chic. It ranges from simple to the sublime ones. Do you know what I like most about F.A.R.M. buttons bracelets? Each piece adorns a woman’s wrist so stunningly and beautifully without giving away any show-offs nor any flamboyant impression and whatsoever. Possibly because F.A.R.M. has a natural appeal of exquisiteness, there is a presence of organic element in it and it has an effortless style and sophistication. Its assortment of colors does not make you feel overdressed or flashy at all. But it simply gives any woman an utter flattery, lifts her mood, brings color, and definitely enhances her fashion sense.

F.A.R.M. has a look of vintage fashion, not to mention it commemorates history. I thought others would enjoy wearing a small piece of history as much as I do. I’m probably a hard critic to please. But the moment I saw them, I was instantly drawn to this beautiful creation and fell in love with it. The color combination is superb. They are just so pretty and attractive in a very dainty way. Each piece is truly unique and each is one-of-a-kind. Each bracelet includes a distinctive variety of old, used, discarded, collected, sorted, retrieved, and even rummaged ones!

F.A.R.M. buttons bracelets are exclusively designed and elaborately created by a lady named Bidibidi. Every piece is artistically handcrafted by Bidibidi. Her choices of patterns, colors, contrasts and combinations reflects her impeccable tastes in arts and they absolutely show a fabulous and inspired craftsmanship.

Bidibidi is a multi-talented woman who has a deep sense of purpose. An artist who has a huge passion for vintage (particularly buttons), watercolor painting, prose and poetry…who is into organic farming and currently runs her own farm
“La Huerta”, providing local employment to the Baaoneous. She advocates, encourages, educates, and promotes sustainable agro-tourism that leads to the preservation of eco-system in rural areas, as far as regional provinces. Her diverse interests caught the attention of Agricultural Department and an article was written to cover her success story. Recently she was awarded as an “Outstanding Rural Woman”. Bernadette known as Bidibidi amongst family and friends. She is a woman who’s not only have a big heart, but speaks from a heart as well, a woman who describes claims that “her life is her art and her art is her life” and who’s work is not limited to arts and crafts. I am so happy and proud of her. And she happens to be my friend’s older sister you know.

I love the fact that F.A.R.M. originates from a hometown Baao, a small-rural town in Bicol where I grew up. I also love the fact that F.A.R.M. has a story to tell. It is about women who live a modest and simple lives, yet with big hearts and big dreams. That each bracelet is made by great women with dedications. Women who are dignified, resilient, diligent, and hardworking. Who believes, shares and supports for a common cause. F.A.R.M. signifies women empowerment. It rekindles friendship. It brings joy. It links connections, interactions and relations between family, friends, old-friends, classmates, colleagues, acquaintances, even neighbors. It blossoms women and bonds them into a genuine sisterhood-relationships. I am totally touched by the impact of it. I felt that I am connected to some women whom I have never even met. Each piece reminds me of my inner feminine side, my fashion sense, my childhood, my alma mater, my humble beginnings, of where I came from and my ancestral roots.

And remember, a bracelet is an equal opportunity adornment for all types of women; mother, daughter, grannny, aunt, sister, niece or BFF...no matter how short or tall, BIG or small, young or old... a bracelet is just the right accessory, and the perfect choice for a gift!

Obviously, F.A.R.M. has an extensive button collection to choose from. F.A.R.M. bracelets are abundant with interesting buttons. And every time I look at one of the F.A.R.M. new photos I discover a new button! A new look, new feel, new mood and a new excitement! Ladies! Let's Go! Let's accessorize!

1 comment:

T said...

Mafe, this is superb, again! nothing can stop your literally prowess now, I am soooo very proud of you, this one made me cry, and laugh and miss you a lot!Thanks for people like you who become our voices!I love you my friend!